Posted 5:47 PM 6/24/2013 : Toddler hospitalized for swallowing Lorezapam pills
TUCSON - A three-year-old child was hospitalized Monday morning after reportedly overdosing on adult prescription pills, a Tucson Police spokesman said.
Sgt. Chris Widmer told News 4 Tucson that the parents brought the child to the University of Arizona Medical Center around 4:17 a.m.
The hospital notified police that the toddler had swallowed a lot of Lorezapam pills - a strong tranquillizer used to treat anxiety in adults.
Dr. Keith Boesen, the managing director of the Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center said an overdose on a drug like Lorazepam is extremely dangerous.
"It is possible with a large enough ingestion to cause so much drowsiness that it decreases your ability to breath... so certainly somebody can stop breathing as a result of taking too much of a medication like that," Boesen said.
Police have not released the details of the case nor the condition of the child.
Stay with News 4 Tucson on air, online and on your mobile device for updates.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More