Posted 8:27 AM 6/13/2012 : Pull Aside, Stay Alive
‘Pull Aside • Stay Alive'
ADOT, partner agencies launch dust storm public awareness campaign.
Dust-related crashes occur most years, particularly along the I-10 corridor between Phoenix and Tucson.
"Haboob Haiku" challenge (Twitter #HaboobHaiku), asking people to show their creativity in educating the public about the dangers of driving in dust storms.
Tips for drivers who encounter a dust storm:
• Avoid driving into or through a dust storm.
• Don't wait until poor visibility to pull off the roadway. Completely exit the highway if you can.
• If you encounter a dust storm, check traffic immediately around your vehicle, begin slowing down.
• Don't stop in a travel lane or in the emergency lane; find a safe place completely off paved roadway.
• Stop vehicle a safe distance from the main roadway and away from where other vehicles travel.
• Turn off all vehicle lights, including your emergency flashers.
• Set your emergency brake and take your foot off the brake.
• Stay in the vehicle with your seatbelts buckled and wait for the storm to pass.
• High-profile vehicles should be especially aware of weather conditions and travel at reduced speeds.
• A driver's alertness and safe driving ability is still the number one factor to prevent crashes.
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Help those in need this holiday season
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
Win! Win! Win!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Let us help grow your business
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories