Posted 12:25 PM 5/2/2012 : News 4 Cooks: Chile Relleno
TUCSON - Today on News 4 Cooks, Paul Wells, Exectuve Chef at Trail Dust Town's Savoy Opera House stopped by with two more recipes. Here they are:
2 Russet Potatoes
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cup Jack and Cheddar Cheese
6 Anaheim Chilies
6 egg whites
2 egg yolks
Corn Starch for Coating Chilies
Red Chile Sauce:
5 roma tomatoes
1 lg. Yellow Onion peeled and cut into 4ths
12 cloves Garlic
4 tbsp. oil
2 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tbsp. brown sugar
¼ cup cilantro
3 tbsp. butter
4 Dried red chilies
1 ½ cup water from the soaked chilies
Avocado Mango Crème:
1 cup sour cream
¼ cup diced mango
2 tbsp. cilantro
Juice of one lime
2 tbsp. red onion
½ tea salt
2 clove garlic
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Peel and small dice the potatoes and place them in a bowl.
3. Drizzle enough oil over the potatoes to coat them.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the potatoes in a single layer across the baking sheet.
5. Bake until crisp and soft in the center of the potato.
6. While the potatoes are cooking, toss the Anaheims with a little oil and char the skins over an open flame, such as the grill, a gas burner, or broil it in the oven. Char the skins on all sides of the chili.
7. Once charred, place them in a ziplock bag to allow the chilies to steam slightly and release the skins. Place the chilies in the refrigerator to cool.
8. Once the potato is done, transfer it while hot to a bowl and add the salt and oregano. Toss the mixture until it is mixed well.
9. Once the potato mixture is cooled toss in the cheese and mix well once more.
10. Peel the skins off the chili and place one slit on the side of the chili from the stem to the tip and carefully remove the seeds. You will want to make sure not to break the chili apart you want the one slit.
11. Next stuff the chili with the potato stuffing and place it aside to cool in the refrigerator.
1. In a mixer with an attached whisk attachment, place the egg whites.
2. Mix on medium to high speed until the whites come to a stiff peak.
3. Add the egg yolks and mix just until the two are combined.
4. Coat the chilled stuffed chilies with a light coating of cornstarch.
1. Fill a frying pan with enough oil to fill it 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the pan and heat to a medium to medium high heat.
2. Once the oil is up to temperature, take a starched chili and place it in the egg white mixture, making sure to coat the entire chili completely.
3. Place the coated chili in the hot oil and allow the bottom to become golden brown. While the bottom is browning, take a large spoon and spoon some of the hot oil over the top of the chili to set the egg whites on the top. This step will allow the flipping process to be easier and not as messy.
4. Once the bottom is the desired darkness flip it over to cook the other side of the chili.
5. After the second side is browned place it on a baking sheet lined with paper towels and finish the rest of the chili rellenos .
6. Place the finished chili rellenos in the oven to finish cooking the center.
7. Serve it with a red chili sauce, avocado and mango crème, and panela cheese.
Red Chile Sauce:
1. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Place the first seven ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss to combine.
3. Place ingredients on a baking sheet in a single layer and put it in the oven.
4. Allow the ingredients to become golden brown with a slight char on them, about twenty minutes.
5. Remove the stems and seeds from the dried red chilies and place them in a dry sauté pan. Over medium heat allow the chilies to release their oils and aromas. This will take about 45 seconds on each side.
6. After the chilies have roasted in the pan, add just enough water to cover the chilies. Bring the water to a simmer and turn off the heat. This will allow the chilies to plump up and soften. Soak for twenty minutes
7. Once everything is cooked, place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend on low speed for thirty seconds, then on high speed until the sauce is smooth.
8. Place the sauce in a pan and cook for 5 minutes on a medium low heat. Then remove it from the heat.
9. Strain the sauce through a strainer to remove any large chunks and season to taste with salt if needed.
Avocado Mango Crème:
1. Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
If you don't have a food processor you can use a Molcajete or just chop everything finely.
Pinnacle Peak Red Salsa
3 cups Peeled and small-diced tomatoes
1 ¼ cup Anaheim chili roasted and small-diced
1 ½ tea dark chili powder
2 tea garlic salt
¼ tea black pepper
3/4 cup cilantro
1 ¼ cup green onion
1/3 cup water or tomato juice
1 ¼ tea garlic powder
Juice of two limes
1. To peel the tomatoes, I like to toss the tomatoes with a little oil and char the skins on a very hot grill. I then place the tomatoes in a ziplock bag and place them in the refrigerator.
2. After about twenty minutes I take the tomatoes out of the bag and save the juice that is in the bottom of the bag in a bowl. The skins should peel right off of the tomatoes.
3. I then small dice the tomatoes to get the 3 cups needed for the recipe and place it in the bowl with the tomato juice from the bag.
4. I do the same process for the fresh Anaheim chilies and remove the seeds and stems. If you want the salsa spicier then keep in some of the seeds. Then small dice the chilies and place it in the bowl with the tomatoes.
5. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
6. Allow the salsa to rest in the refrigerator for at least two hours to allow the flavors to mix together well.
7. If you do not want to go through the long process of peeling the tomatoes and chilies, you can use a canned petit diced tomato and already roasted or canned green chilies. Omit the lime juice if you go this rout.
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Help those in need this holiday season
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
Win! Win! Win!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Let us help grow your business
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories