Posted 4:29 PM 1/24/2013 : Neighbors disturbed by string of robberies
TUCSON- Quite a crime spree in Tucson early Thursday morning. There were seven robberies in a matter of just five hours. All of them happened on the eastside and some in midtown.
Those living in the area of the robberies are all talking about what happened.
It disturbs them to think crime like this is going on while they sleep.
Neighbors living near Shell gas station on the corner of 22nd street and Harrison are also disturned.
They feel like this gas station is part of their community and it too was targeted.
Carl Mench has lived on this side of town for over 20 years.
"I don't understand what makes people think that way that they can do anything like that. It amazes me," said Carl Mench.
Mench is upset that someone would violate their space.
"It's not good for the neighborhood. It's not good for the city. It's not good for anybody," said Mench.
Police said starting at two this morning a man went from convenient stores to Walgreens until 7 in the morning stealing merchandise and cash.
"The rif raft is coming our way," said Brad Emerson who lives in the neighborhood.
He hit seven stores total in both the Eastsode and midtown.
"You just got a watch your backs," said Chuck Parker.
Neighbors said the community needs to band together and keep their eyes peeled.
"You never know what lurks out on the streets," said Parker.
A woman who didnt want us to show her identity took a philosophical approach to try to figure out why someone would rob seven stores in just five hours.
She thinks it has to do with instant gratification.
"People seem to want all of it right now. They don't want to have to wait. They don't want to have to defer their purchases. They want their new car now. They want their new house now," she said.
• 2:10 a.m.: Quick-Mart located at 3370 North Country Club Road was robbed at gunpoint.
• 2:52 a.m.: Circle K located at 5301 East Pima Street was robbed at gunpoint.
• 3:55 a.m.: Walgreens located at 8730 East Broadway Boulevard was robbed at gunpoint.
• 4:35 a.m.: Shell Gas Station located at 9491 East 22nd Street was robbed at gunpoint.
• 5:14 a.m.: Quick-Mart located at 10275 East 22nd Street. The clerk saw a subject matching the description of the robbery suspect, locked the doors and called 911. No robbery occurred.
• 5:38 a.m.: Quick-Mart located at 7895 East Golf Links. The clerk saw a subject matching the description of the robbery suspect, locked the doors and called 911. No robbery occurred.
• 5:45 a.m.: Walgreens located at 7111 East Golf Links Road was robbed at gunpoint.
• 6:31 a.m.: Circle K located at 2750 North Tucson Boulevard was robbed at gunpoint.
• 6:57 a.m.: Chevron located at 4390 North 1st Avenue was robbed at gunpoint.
Witnesses said the suspect is a black man who was dressed in all black around five-foot-seven, 150 pounds.
He had a gun and was driving a dark blue Cadillac.
If you know anything about this suspect or the robberies, call 88-CRIME.
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Help those in need this holiday season
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
Win! Win! Win!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Let us help grow your business
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories