Posted 4:31 PM 7/25/2012 : Make Me Over: 7 steps for an optimal surgery recovery
TUCSON - Many people avoid elective surgery because of the healing time. In today's
"Make Me Over" segment, Dr. Gwen Maxwell, our plastic surgery contributor, stopped by to talk about seven steps to optimal healing, pre- and post-surgery.
Here's her list:
Step 1- Stop Smoking
Step 2 - Prepare your home... and job:
• Plan realistic time off work... and suspend strenuous physical activities
• Do your shopping/chores in advance
• Stock up on necessary supplies
Step 3 - Get Support:
• Arrange a caregiver for children
• Arrange a caregiver for yourself
• Get someone to drive you to your first few appointments
Step 4- Follow instructions:
• Take medications as prescribed
• Dressing and bandages, as directed
• Keep all your follow-up appointments
• Don't overexert yourself
• Don't smoke
Step 5 - Have realistic expectations:
• Be prepared for swelling, bruising, incisions, drains, dressings and sutures.
• You'll look worse before you look better.
Step 6 - Take advantage of services/products that help with healing:
• Pharmaceutical grade vitamin supplements
• Lymphatic drainage massage
• Scar reduction creams and treatments
Step 7 - Long term protection:
• Maintain your weight... diet and exercise
• Protect yourself from the sun
• Get regular facials/skin treatments
• Use pharmaceutical grade skin products
• Don't smoke
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Help those in need this holiday season
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
Win! Win! Win!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Let us help grow your business
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories