Posted 4:45 PM 4/16/2012 : Let's Make a Meal: A Tribute to the Olive
TUCSON - Today on "Let's Make a Meal," The Practical Chef, Craig Nassar, stopped by with special guest Oleg Bortman to pay tribute to a cooking staple: the olive.
The right olive can really change the flavor of a dish, and cooking with olive oil is a heart-healthy alternative to oil from fat.
Check out three olive-centric recipes below:
TUSCAN BREAD AND TOMATO SALAD
4 each large vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into large cubes or wedges (or 2 c Divina Roasted Tomatoes)
1/2 pound day-old country style Italian bread, crust removed and cubed
1 ¼ c red onion, thinly sliced
2 t minced garlic
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1/2 c Olivista Olive Oil
1 bunch fresh basil stems, removed washed and spun dry, torn into pieces
Sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
• In a large bowl combine the tomatoes, bread and onion
• In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, vinegar and oil
• Pour the dressing over the bread salad and let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.
• Add basil and salt and pepper, to taste, and toss to combine
Makes about 1 Cup
2 c Fresh basil leaves, packed
2 cloves Garlic
3/4 c Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 c Pine nuts, toasted
1/2 c Olivista Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Blend all ingredients except oil in a food processor.
• With motor running, add oil in a slow steady stream until combined.
Divina green olive chopped salad (from Market Plates)
6-ounce container Pitted Green Olives, cut into quarters lengthwise
1 green bell pepper (about 8 ounces) cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 cup inside stalks of celery cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 cup scallions sliced1/4-inch
1 large red tomato (about 8 ounces) cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
Fine sea salt
4 ounces feta cheese cut into 1/4-inch dice
1. Toss all of the ingredients except the cheese in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
2. Add a little sea salt keeping in mind the cheese will add seasoning as well.
3. Before serving, gently toss the cheese into the salad until just incorporated.
4. Transfer to serving plates or platter. Great as a first course or side dish to grilled lamb or chicken.
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Help those in need this holiday season
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
Win! Win! Win!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Let us help grow your business
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories