Posted 5:07 PM 9/25/2012 : Green Living: Looking Good While Going Green
TUCSON - A lot of products designed to make us look good may actually be causing us harm. Many of them contain dangerous, cancer-causing chemicals. This month's edition of Green Living magazine shows us how to make our skin glow the natural way.
Editor-in-chief Tishin Donkersley stopped by with some of the highlights. Here's what she had to say:
Parabens, BPA and phthalates are chemicals that can be commonly found in our hair and beauty products, and each one has been linked to the development of cancer. Our Green Gal, Tishin Donkersley, M.A. is here to give us some natural beauty tips and teach us how to avoid toxic chemicals in our beauty product purchases for ourselves, and our family.
From sun lotion to our hair products, chemicals that are used to create our skin and beauty products can be contributing to the development of cancer or other illnesses.
• Parabens are the most common preservatives found in hair and beauty products, especially deodorants, and have been linked to the development of breast tumors, according to a recent study from the University of Reading.
• Bisphenol A (BPA) is a hormone disrupting chemical that is commonly found in plastic products, and has been linked to the development of many types cancer. In July of 2012, this chemical was banned by the FDA to be used to produce baby bottles and cups.
• Phthalates are used in the manufacturing of plastic products to make products more pliable, and have been linked to the increased risk of developing breast cancer - this too was banned in 2009 by the FDA to produce child toys.
To reduce risk of exposure to these chemicals follow these shopping and health tips:
1. Choose products with natural or organic ingredients and infused with natural oils
2. Choose paraben- and phthalate-free products
3. Choose hair products that are formaldehyde-free
4. Look for products that use vitamin C or vitamin E as preservatives
5. Choose more plant-based dyes for hair color
6. Use a moisturizer that has SPF protection to protect against skin cancer
7. Individuals with sensitive skin need to purchase products made with minimal ingredients
8. Sip water throughout the day to keep your body and skin hydrated
9. Increase the percentage of antioxidant-rich foods into your diet
10. Most importantly - read the labels and do not purchase a product if you see any term with paraben or phthalate within the ingredients
For more from Tishin, check out Green Living magazine online at:
You can also find more from Tishin and Green Living on social media:
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More