Posted 8:35 AM 8/28/2012 : Cone Zone 8/28
2013 PAVEMENT PRESERVATION PROGRAM
Oracle Road, Drachman Street to Miracle Mile
Crews from Southern Arizona Paving, under contract with the City of Tucson Department of Transportation (TDOT), have begun pre-lowering utilities on Oracle Road between Drachman Street and Miracle Mile to prepare for repaving this section of roadway. Crews will be pre-lowering utilities from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m., with single lane closures from Monday, August 20, 2012 to Friday, August 24, 2012.
Beginning Monday, August 27, 2012, crews will be working from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., performing milling (removing asphalt) and paving operations. Work is being done at night to lessen the impact to the traveling public. This work is scheduled to be complete by Friday, August 31, 2012. During this work, at least one lane of travel in each direction will be maintained.
When paving is complete crews will adjust water valve covers and manhole covers flush with the new asphalt. As part of this work, concrete will be poured around the covers and barricades will be in place for 24 hours to allow the concrete to cure. This work will be done during daytime hours. This work is expected to be complete by Friday, September 7, 2012.
Guardrail work on westbound Interstate 10 ramp at Avra Valley Road in Tucson Wednesday
The Arizona Department of Transportation will close the westbound Interstate 10 exit ramp at Avra Valley Road in Tucson from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 29, for guardrail repair. Drivers wishing to access the area may continue on westbound I-10 to the Tangerine Road exit where they can return back to the area by entering eastbound I-10 and exiting at Avra Valley Road.
The schedule is subject to change due to a variety of reasons, including weather, availability of materials, and mechanical difficulties. ADOT advises drivers to proceed through or near work zones with caution, slow down, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
Due to heavy rains the past two weeks the Streetcar construction team has experienced significant delays to the construction schedule. The team is working to revaluate to make up for the delays.
• The Sun Link Tucson Streetcar construction team will reopen Broadway between Church and Stone Avenues to vehicular traffic by the end of the day Friday, August 24, weather permitting.
• As a reminder: Numerous existing utility conflicts were discovered and required a complete redesign of the underground facilities in the area.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
• 8th Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between 4th and 5th Avenues. The closure will be in place through approximately early October while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
• 8th Street east of 4th Avenue and the intersection of 4th Avenue and 8th Street is open to vehicular traffic, allowing access to parking for business along 4th Avenue.
• Business access to the Hut will be maintained.
• Southbound traffic from Herbert Avenue will only be able to exit westbound onto 8th Street.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
• The relocation and installation of the new 16-inch water main along Speedway Boulevard is complete, but the eastbound lane restrictions on Speedway Boulevard, between Mountain and Campbell Avenues, will remain in place until late September. At that point the 16-inch main can be tied over to the newly installed water lines located along Martin Avenue, between Second Street and Speedway Boulevard and Helen Street, between Cherry and Martin Avenues.
• The final step of "tying-over" the newly installed water lines to the new 16-inch main is on hold while Tucson Water makes necessary repairs to its 96-inch transmission main. Repairs to the transmission main are expected to be completed by September 10, 2012.
• Eastbound Speedway Boulevard will reopen to three lanes of traffic following the tie-over of the water lines to the existing system.
Work continues on 14-mile improvement project on Interstate 10 in Cochise County next week - Travel restrictions scheduled in the Texas Canyon area for bridge and drainage work
Motorists driving on Interstate 10 in Cochise County will continue to see travel restrictions next week as the Arizona Department of Transportation prepares to repave 14 miles of interstate between the east end of Texas Canyon and the east side of Benson.
The following lane closures will be in effect from 6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily, beginning Monday, Aug. 27 through Friday, Aug. 31:
• The left lane of eastbound I-10 at Adams Peak Wash (near milepost 309)
• The left lane of westbound I-10 at Adams Peak Wash
• The right lane of westbound I-10 at Sibyl Road (near milepost 313)
The following lane closure will be in effect from 6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily, beginning Wednesday, Aug. 29 through Friday, Aug. 31:
• The right lane of westbound I-10 beginning at the Johnson Road interchange (Exit 322) and continuing for two miles will allow crews to pour concrete for new drainage culverts at three locations.
Please note that crews will finish working at noon Friday, Aug. 31, in consideration of Labor Day Weekend holiday travelers.
The posted speed limit through all the work areas will be 55 mph and message boards will be in place to notify approaching motorists.
The westbound rest area in Texas Canyon is currently closed while undergoing parking lot and drainage improvements and is expected to reopen for the Labor Day Weekend.
The repaving of the westbound lanes is scheduled to begin in mid-September, with completion in fall 2012.
ADOT advises drivers to proceed through the work zone with caution, slow down, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Help those in need this holiday season
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
Win! Win! Win!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Let us help grow your business
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories