Posted 5:11 AM 6/14/2012 : Cone Zone 6/14: Modern Streetcar
ADVANCE NOTICE: On Monday, June 18, Congress Street will be closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Stone and Church Avenues. This closure will be in place while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Conductor System.
• The intersections of Congress Street with Stone and Church Avenues will remain open. However, periodic closures may be necessary in order to complete underground utility work in the intersections.
• ADVANCE NOTICE: On Monday, June 18, the contractor will begin underground utility work along Broadway between 5th Avenue and Stone.
• Two travel lanes will be maintained during the day.
• There may be intermittent intersections closures of Scott Avenue, Stone Avenue and Church Avenue during this work.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
During the week of June 11, the contractor will continue underground utility work along University Boulevard.
• On Friday June 15 the contractor will install water lines at the intersection of Tyndall Avenue and University Boulevard. Work hours will be from 1 a.m. to 4 a.m.
• The contractor will continue installing track along Fourth Avenue from University Boulevard to Sixth Street. Concrete is scheduled to be delivered to the work area at 2 a.m. on June 12 and 13.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
• Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Park and Mountain Avenues and between Highland and Warren Avenues. This closure will be in place while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System.
• On June 12, the contractor will begin removing existing asphalt roadway along Second Street between Park and Mountain Avenues.
• The intersections of Second Street with Palm Drive and Olive Road will be closed through the beginning of August.
• Mountain Avenue will remain open at Second Street, with the exception of three nights when the intersection will be closed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. - June 10, 11 and 12.
• Access to the Second Street Garage will be maintained, with the exception of June 10, 11 and 12, when it will be closed from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. each night.
• Highland Avenue will be opened to allow northbound vehicular travel between First and Second Streets. Motorists exiting the Second Street Garage will use the northbound Highland lanes to depart the area.
• The intersection of Cherry Avenue at Second Street is closed. Signs will be in place to direct motorists around the work area. This intersection closure will be in place through the summer.
• The contractor has begun installing water mainline on Cherry Avenue between Speedway Boulevard and Helen Street. This underground utility work will require the closure of Cherry Avenue through June 22, 2012.
• The intersection of Cherry Avenue and Helen Street will remain open throughout most of this work; however, there may be intermittent lane restrictions to accommodate workers and equipment.
• Signs will be in place to direct motorists around the work area.
• Northbound turn movements from Speedway Boulevard onto Cherry Avenue will not be permitted.
• There will be intermittent restrictions of the westbound Speedway curb lane between Warren and Vine Avenues during this operation.
• Pedestrian access across Second Street near Highland Avenue will be maintained.
• ADVANCE NOTICE - The contractor will begin waterline improvements along eastbound Speedway Boulevard between Warren and Campbell Avenues. The work will require eastbound Speedway to be reduced to one travel lane along this stretch of roadway. Business access will be maintained. This work will take approximately six weeks to complete.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More