Posted 8:12 AM 5/23/2012 : Cone Zone 5/23: I-10 and SR 77
Barrier work on Interstate 10 and Ruthrauff Road in Tucson Wednesday
The Arizona Department of Transportation will be closing the right lane on eastbound I-10 and the Ruthrauff Road eastbound I-10 entrance ramp from 9 p.m. to midnight Wednesday (May 23) to set temporary concrete barriers in the work zone as construction continues on the Interstate 10 widening project from Ruthrauff Road to Prince Road.
Other ongoing traffic impacts in the project area:
• The eastbound I-10 frontage road and Prince Road intersection is closed through early 2013.
• The eastbound I-10 frontage road between Commerce Drive and north of the Prince Road intersection is a two-way road through early 2013.
• The eastbound I-10 frontage road between Fort Lowell Road and south of the Prince Road intersection is a two-way road through early 2013.
• The eastbound I-10 frontage road is open to one lane between Ruthrauff Road and Prince Road.
• Business Center Drive, west of I-10, has been extended to the eastbound I-10 frontage road in order to provide a detour and access to area businesses while Prince Road is closed.
• Eastbound I-10 drivers are traveling on the new temporary lanes on westbound I-10 in the project area.
• Westbound I-10 drivers are traveling on the temporary lanes on the westbound I-10 frontage road.
• The left lane of the westbound I-10 frontage road south of Prince Road is currently closed through early 2013.
• Three lanes of I-10 will remain open during construction, with only minimal short-term lane closures on I-10 in the project area when necessary.
• The speed limit will be reduced to 55 mph on eastbound I-10 and 45 mph on westbound I-10 between Ruthrauff Road and Miracle Mile.
• Runway Drive at Prince Road is closed through early July 2012. Traffic will be detoured to Romero Road and Gardner Lane.
Prince Road Traffic Interchange Closure
• The Prince Road traffic interchange at I-10 is closed through late 2013.
• Prince Road at I-10 and west of I-10 is closed to vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists.
• There is no access to westbound I-10 from eastbound Prince Road. Use alternate routes.
• The westbound I-10 entrance and exit ramps at Prince Road are closed through late 2013.
• The eastbound I-10 entrance and exit ramps at Prince Road are be closed through late 2013.
Some of the improvements that are planned for this project include:
• Widening the I-10 freeway to four lanes in each direction to accommodate increasing traffic.
• Reconstructing the Prince Road traffic interchange so that Prince Road will pass over the Union Pacific Railroad tracks and I-10 and minimize delays for motorists.
• Updating the entrance and exit ramps to provide better connections and improved access for motorists.
• New landscaping along the project area.
The construction schedule is subject to change due to a variety of reasons, including weather, material availability and mechanical difficulties. ADOT advises drivers to proceed through or near work zones with caution, slow down, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
Traffic signal installation on State Route 77 (Oracle Road) north of Tucson Wednesday
The Arizona Department of Transportation will be installing the arms for a traffic signal on State Route 77 (Oracle Road) in Catalina on Wednesday (May 23) as part of the $125,000 project to install traffic signals at the intersection of SR 77 and Eagle Crest Ranch Boulevard. The project began in March 2012 and is scheduled to be completed by end of May 2012.
What to expect Wednesday:
• The right lanes of northbound and southbound SR 77 will be closed intermittently from 8 a.m. to noon.
• The speed will be reduced to 25 mph in the work zone.
• Traffic will be directed through the work zone by local law enforcement.
• Drivers can expect delays of up to 10 minutes and should plan ahead.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More