Posted 8:09 AM 5/11/2012 : Cone Zone 5/11: I-10 closures
Construction on Interstate 10 widening project in Tucson continues
Closures planned as construction crews prepare to shift eastbound I-10 traffic to existing westbound I-10
As construction continues on the Interstate 10 widening project from Ruthrauff to Prince in Tucson, the Arizona Department of Transportation would like to alert drivers about the following lane restrictions and closures scheduled during the next week. Please note that information has been updated so please refer to the new schedule below.
From 7 p.m. Thursday (May 10) until late 2013:
• The eastbound I-10 entrance and exit ramps at Prince Road will remain closed through late 2013. Drivers may use the eastbound I-10 entrance ramp at Miracle Mile.
Beginning 5 a.m. Friday (May 11):
• Eastbound I-10 drivers will begin traveling on the new temporary lanes on westbound I-10 in the project area while westbound I-10 drivers will continue traveling on the temporary lanes on the westbound I-10 frontage road.
• Three lanes of I-10 will remain open during construction, with only minimal short-term lane closures along I-10 in the project when necessary.
• The speed limit on eastbound I-10 will be reduced to 55 mph between Ruthrauff Road and Miracle Mile.
Closed until Wednesday (May 16):
• The right lane of the eastbound I-10 frontage road, south of the Prince Road exit ramp, will continue to be closed for utility work until Wednesday (May 16) at which time will become a two-way road through early 2013.
Beginning 8 a.m. Wednesday (May 16):
• Business Center Drive, west of I-10, will be extended to the eastbound I-10 frontage road in order to provide a detour and access while Prince Road is closed.
• The eastbound I-10 frontage road and Prince Road intersection will be closed through early 2013.
• The eastbound I-10 frontage road between Commerce Drive and north of the Prince Road intersection will become a two-way road through early 2013.
• The eastbound I-10 frontage road between Fort Lowell Road and south of the Prince Road intersection will become a two-way road through early 2013.
Prince Road Traffic Interchange Closure
• The Prince Road traffic interchange at I-10 is closed through late 2013.
• Prince Road at I-10 and west of I-10 is closed to vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists.
• There is no access to westbound I-10 from eastbound Prince Road. Use alternate routes.
• The westbound I-10 entrance and exit ramps at Prince Road are closed.
• The eastbound I-10 entrance and exit ramps at Prince will be closed through late 2013 effective May 10, 2012.
• Runway Drive at Prince Road is closed for approximately 60 days. Traffic will be detoured to Romero Road and Gardner Lane.
• The eastbound I-10 frontage road is open to one lane between Ruthrauff Road and Prince Road.
UPDATE: State Route 90 widening near Interstate 10 rescheduled to begin Monday
First phase will require all SR 90 traffic to share current eastbound lanes
As construction continues on the Interstate 10/State Route 90 improvement project, crews will begin working on widening State Route 90 to seven lanes near the interchange with Interstate 10 in Benson Monday (May 14).
The Arizona Department of Transportation will close the westbound lanes of SR 90 immediately north of the traffic signal at Village Loop Drive at 7 a.m. Monday for a three-month period when traffic in both directions will be routed to use the current eastbound lanes to travel through the project area.
During this time, ADOT crews will reconstruct the westbound lanes and construct a raised median between I-10 and Village Loop Drive. New storm drains and street lighting will also be included in the project.
While the westbound lanes are being reconstructed, access to businesses east of the highway at St. Andrews Road will be closed. Access to those businesses will be available from Village Loop Drive. Also during this phase of the widening project, the Caverns Drive exit from businesses west of the highway will be restricted to right turns only. Although SR 90 is designated as an east-west route, the highway runs north and south in the Benson area.
The work is part of ADOT's $27.6 million project that includes construction of new I-10 overpasses at SR 90, and realignment of a section of curving interstate west of the exit.
When the first phase of the SR 90 widening is complete, traffic in both directions will be switched to use the newly constructed westbound lanes and crews will begin work on the eastbound lanes.
ADOT will continue to provide information on this project, which is scheduled for completion in 2013.
Drivers are advised to proceed through the work zone with caution, slow down, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
ADOT works to inform the public about planned highway restrictions, but there is a possibility that unscheduled closures or restrictions may occur. Weather can also affect a project schedule. To stay up-to-date with the latest highway conditions around the state, visit the ADOT Traveler Information Center at www.az511.gov or call 5-1-1
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Help those in need this holiday season
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
Win! Win! Win!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Let us help grow your business
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories