Posted 1:32 PM 5/28/2012 : Common grill tool gives man a 'brush' with death
(NBC) - One man's recent barbecue experience became a "brush" with death.
54-year-old Michael Destefan says he was in so much pain, he thought he had appendicitis, until doctors showed him the CAT scan.
"They told me I must have ingested a nail, a paper clip or a fish hook of all things" he recalls.
It wasn't any of those things.
Dr. Sanjeev Kaul removed the mystery metal, a little more than an inch and a half long and catalyst for a growing infection.
It was Michael's wife who figured out what that tiny piece of wire came from.
Just as so many enjoy doing, Michael had been grilling steaks.
She noticed the tiny wire removed matched the bristles on the brush he used to clean the grill.
Michael's close call isn't unique.
A report published by four Rhode Island radiologists in the Journal Of The American Roentgen Ray Society documents six similar cases in 18 months, three wires lodged in the throat, three others in the stomach.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More