Posted 4:23 PM 8/15/2012 : Baby on the Way: Cystic Fibrosis
TUCSON - On today's "Baby on the Way" segment on News 4 Tucson at 4 p.m., our pregnancy contributor, Judith Schuler, stopped by to talk about cystic fibrosis.
Below you can find information from Judith's discussion with News 4 Tucson's Allison Alexander:
What is cystic fibrosis?
• CF is genetic disorder that causes body to produce sticky mucus that builds up in lungs and other organs
• can lead to respiratory and digestive problems
Can a woman be tested to see if her baby will have CF?
• both parents can be tested before pregnancy
• test uses blood or saliva sample
• chorionic villus sampling or amniocentesis can be done in 1st or 2nd trimester of pregnancy to see if baby has cystic fibrosis
Who should have the test?
• medical experts urge Caucasians to have CF test; CF is most common birth defect in this group
• screening also recommended if you're at higher risk for CF, such as Ashkenazi Jews
What will the tests show?
• test before pregnancy will show if either parent is a carrier of CF gene-for baby to have cystic fibrosis, both parents' must be carriers
• if only one parent is carrier, baby will not have CF
• test during pregnancy will show if baby has CF
• If a couple is at risk, then what?testing is personal decision
• many couples would not do anything, even if test positive
• however testing is recommended so care can be provided to baby immediately after birth and treatment can begin
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Help those in need this holiday season
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
Win! Win! Win!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Let us help grow your business
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories