Quantcast

Fire on northwest side destroys RV, charring side of house - KVOA | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona

Fire on northwest side destroys RV, charring side of house

Posted: Updated:

MARANA - Flames engulfed a motor home and scorched part of a house on the northwest side early Thursday morning.

The fire occurred in the 4000 block of Juniper St. Northwest Fire responded at around 6:00 a.m. 

Northwest Fire officials traced the cause of the fire to electrical issues with a refrigerator in the RV.

"The refrigerator was on. We had it full of tamales. Here's some hot tamales,” said homeowner Andrew Norush.

Norush was in the shower while his wife was preparing breakfast when a loud sound came from outside.

Norush’s wife initially thought he had fallen in the shower.

A look outside revealed towers of smoke and embers coming from the RV fenced in the backyard.

The Norushs’ gathered the family pets and proceeded outside. They took to the garden hose as Northwest Fire crews zoomed on over.  

"Yeah, we were fighting it until they wouldn't let me anymore. I was barefoot,” Norush said.

Darcy Davis was out with the dog, enjoying a cup of coffee several blocks away when she spotted smoke gathering in the distance.

Davis jumped in her car enroute to the fiery scene.

"The flames were crazy. At first it was just low flames and a lot of smoke and then the flames just started getting bigger and bigger,” Davis said.

Davis whipped out her cellphone, recording the carnage as it unfolded.

She wasted no time, rushing to check on the homeowners and their pets.

"I could see the house next door. The smoke was coming from the back patio so I thought I better go wake her up,” Davis said.

“She started pounding on doors. She said she pounded on all my windows and I still never heard a thing,” said Joanne Cunney.

Cunney finally woke up to a sight of strobing embers the aroma of smoke.

"Picked up my dog and just put on shoes and jacket and ran out. So everybody was safe thank god,” she said.

As for Darcy Davis, she doesn’t consider herself a hero. She’s just being a good neighbor.

"I'm concerned if my house ever caught on fire if I was at work if somebody was to get the animals out .That's what I was worried about so I felt the same way about these people,” Davis said.

Powered by Frankly

© KVOA.com 2018, KVOA.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?