Victims identified in apparent double-murder suicide - KVOA | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona

Victims identified in apparent double-murder suicide

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE: Police have identified the three people found dead in an apparent double murder suicide that happened last night.

The individuals are 49-year-old Rusty Coblyn, 59-year-old Willa Coblyn and 26-year-old Matthew Johnson.

TPD received a 911 hang-up call from a cell phone just before 5 Wednesday night. As police were responding they were called by a neighbor who reported that a man with blood on his clothes was in front of his house screaming for help.

He said the man was saying someone had just killed his mother in a house down the street.

When officers arrived and began containing the area, they heard a gunshot from inside the house where the incident had happened. 

Officers then began evacuating nearby homes.

Hostage negotiators, SWAT and the Bomb Unit arrived to the scene. Hostage negotiators began using a loud speaker to attempt to speak with anyone inside the home.

For over two hours, no one responded and no movement was seen inside the home.

The Bomb unit issued a search warrant and entered the home with a robot.

The robot observed three people dead in the home. At that point, SWAT officers entered the home and were able to confirm what they saw on camera. 

Detectives were able to piece together that Rusty had killed his wife, Willa, earlier in the day inside the home.

She was found in a back bedroom. Around 3, Willa's son, Matthew came home and was shot multiple times by Rusty.

Just after 4, Matthew's twin brother came to the home and was confronted by Rusty at gunpoint. 

Rusty tried to shoot Matthew's brother, but his gun malfunctioned. He forced him to a back bedroom to get a second gun that also malfunctioned.

Matthew was able to escape after a physical altercation then ran to a neighboring home to call for help.

Detectives think the gunshot heard by responding officers was Rusty Coblyn taking his own life.

UPDATE: Three people are dead after a hostage situation in a home near Park Place Mall.

Wednesday around 10 p.m., Tucson Police Department Sgt. Pete Dugan, said the incident was a possible murder-suicide.

Dugan said the standoff began around 5 p.m. after a neighbor called police. 

Nearby homes were evacuated. 

Hostage negotiators attempted to coax the suspect out of the home. Police did not hear a response from the suspect. 

Around 9 p.m., police sent a bomb-squad robot into the home. 

Shortly after, police confirmed two men and one woman were dead. 

Stay with News 4 Tucson for the latest details.

Tucson, Ariz, -Tucson police continue to investigate a hostage situation neat Park Place Mall. Shortly before 5 p.m. police responded to a man barricaded inside a home near the area of Alamo and 20th. 

When police arrived here to the house, they heard an apparent gunshot from the house. A swat team and bomb squad also arrived on scene.  

Police said they have evacuated people from seven houses in the area.  

Stay with News 4 Tucson for the latest developments. 

Interactive Radar
Powered by Frankly

© KVOA.com 2018, KVOA.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?