Quantcast

Tucson school nurse saves student with peanut allergy - KVOA | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona

Tucson school nurse saves student with peanut allergy

Posted: Updated:
TUCSON -

A Tucson school nurse saved one student’s life after a mealtime mishap.

Rincon High School staff was sent into action after one student’s mouth starts swelling.

“When he came in, he was feeling his mouth was a little funny, that was his first symptom,” said school nurse Monica Ibarra. “He just had some of his friend’s lunch.”

The student had seven bites of Thai food.

“He started having more symptoms in his throat and in his chest, so we decided to go ahead and administer the EpiPen,” said Ibarra.

Ibarra said this was the first time this year she had to use an EpiPen. The student, 18-year-old Emilio Reyes, glad she did. He is seriously allergic to peanuts.

“This time was worse,” Reyes said. “I didn’t have my EpiPen so I was way more scared.”

He was experiencing symptoms that could have turned fatal.

The school nurses said they have trained almost all the teachers to administer an EpiPen to any student who may need it.

WEATHER
Interactive Radar
Powered by Frankly

© KVOA.com 2017, KVOA.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?