TUCSON - A letter was sent home to Kindergarten parents, from Peter Howell Elementary, after an incident involving students and "choking." One father asked Kristi's Kids to investigate a so-called "game" that his daughter said she learned at school.
Respecting his wish to remain anonymous, Kristi's Kids is calling the father "Mike." "Mike" said, his children started playing the "game" at home. One child was choking the other and said she learned it at school. Both kids are under the age of 6.
"Mike" told Kristi's Kids, "another student did it to them in school... it's a game they play and I asked her to show me and she did it to me."
There are variations to this type of "game" that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have been documenting. A CDC report from 2008 identified 82-probable "choking-game" deaths, between 1995 and 2007. Of those, 71-cases were boys around the age of 13.
The Principal at Peter Howell sent a newsletter home to Kindergarten parents, addressing a number of behavioral problems, including choking. Jaquetta Alexander told Kristi's Kids, there was an isolated incident and Peter Howell is actively addressing the situation. Alexander said, no additional parents have come forward.
A local pediatrician believes parents should be concerned. Dr. Duane Dyson said, there can be long-term damage. It only takes 11-pounds of pressure on the carotid artery, or 33-pounds on the trtracheato cause serious harm.
For more on the potential side effects, click on the video to see this full report.