News 4 offers an innovative, hands-on learning experience for its interns.
The KVOA internship program teaches students how a newsroom operates, how a live television show is produced and provides an in-depth look into broadcast journalism.
You will learn what it means to be held accountable and responsible in this high stress, fast paced work environment.
Students will serve in at least one 8-hour shift a week for the semester, performing the following duties according to the student's needs and interests:
* Write and edit copy for the newscast
* Help edit tape playback for the newscast
* Sort scripts before the newscast
* Run prompter during the newscast
* Assist the Assignment Desk in answering phones and monitoring scanners
* Observe the news story selection process
* Learn how to gather information and pool resources
You will also have the chance to shadow reporters and photographers to learn the behind-the-scenes process of shooting and writing a newscast "package," and how to present it live on air.
To qualify for our program, future reporters, producers, anchors and photojournalists must be able to:
* Receive class credit for their work
* Commit at least one eight hour block of time a week to the station
* Have completed at least one journalistic writing course. (Photojournalists are exempt from this requirement.)
This is not a paid internship.
To apply in Southern Arizona:
Please send us a cover letter stating your purpose, an outline of relevant class work, and a resume of your work experience. You will then be contacted to schedule an interview.
Outside of Southern Arizona:
In lieu of an in-person interview, we will need to see a ten page writing sample and a VHS recording of your class work. An additional phone interview may be required.
You can send/e-mail your questions and applications to:
RE: Internship Application
Tucson, AZ 85703-018