Aug 16, 2012 1:32 PM
TUCSON - A 10-day Wildcat Welcoming event begins today as students and their families participate in free events that help new and returning students become more comfortable in the Wildcat environment.
Some of the community activities this week include:
• On August 17, students are welcome to attend a free class on becoming familiar with new technology available on campus. That evening there is a Movie Night at 7 p.m. with free food and drinks.
• August 18, all students are invited to the Residence Hall Association Block Party/Taste of the Union event, which is from 6-9 p.m. At this event there will be samples of tasty and healthy offerings, along with fun entertainment and prizes. At 10:30 p.m., a free bus ride will be offered to take students to Target to buy school supplies, while listening to music and a chance to win prizes including: gift cards, coupons, and samples.
• On Aug. 19th at 4 p.m., transfer students are invited to involve themselves in a mixer at the Student Union Memorial Center Suite 404.
• On Sunday from 6-8:30 p.m., all students are invited to attend the New Student Convocation and Celebration event where UA pride and traditions are expressed.
• Aug. 20 is the official day that classes begin, where lost students can look for the UA Ask Me tent at the UA Mall. Where help is offered to students to help find their way around the busy campus.
• UA students at the Disability Resource Center on August 20-24 from 9-11 a.m. refreshments will be accessible where collaborates with students, faculty and staff are to create educational environments that are inclusive to all students of the University of Arizona community.
• On Monday from 5-7 p.m., all UA students are invited to Wildcat Night to learn about sports clubs and how to become more involved on campus.
• On Friday Aug. 24, the Rec Center encourages students to attend a pool party from 12:30-3p.m. to celebrate the beginning of classes.
• August 21, all Wildcats are welcomed to the Bear Down Ice Cream Bash from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. That evening at 5:30p.m., the Amazing Green Race will begin where there are opportunities to win a bike while enjoying free pizza and Italian Ice.
• On Aug. 22 the Finding Community Welcome begins at 6 p.m. where there will be presentations from African American Student Affairs the Disability Resource Center; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning Affairs and other student resource centers will help 40,000 other students feel at home and get involved in the community.
To learn more about the events visit the Wildcat Welcome schedule for details or visit: