Local

Jun 24, 2013 8:47 PM by Nathan O'Neal

Toddler hospitalized for swallowing Lorezapam pills

TUCSON - A three-year-old child was hospitalized Monday morning after reportedly overdosing on adult prescription pills, a Tucson Police spokesman said.

Sgt. Chris Widmer told News 4 Tucson that the parents brought the child to the University of Arizona Medical Center around 4:17 a.m.

The hospital notified police that the toddler had swallowed a lot of Lorezapam pills - a strong tranquillizer used to treat anxiety in adults.

Dr. Keith Boesen, the managing director of the Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center said an overdose on a drug like Lorazepam is extremely dangerous.

"It is possible with a large enough ingestion to cause so much drowsiness that it decreases your ability to breath... so certainly somebody can stop breathing as a result of taking too much of a medication like that," Boesen said.

Police have not released the details of the case nor the condition of the child.

Stay with News 4 Tucson on air, online and on your mobile device for updates.

»Comments

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4