Oct 31, 2012 6:44 PM by Ian Cross
TUCSON - With ghouls, goblins and ghosts roaming the streets tonight, the Humane Society of Southern Arizona is reminding pet-owners that Halloween can be downright frightening for their furry friends.
Here are some Halloween tips to keep you and your pets safe tonight, from the HSSA:
• Halloween treats are for humans only! Chocolate can be toxic to dogs. Keep all candy well out of reach of the family pet.
• Resist the urge to dress your pet in a costume unless you know he or she is accustomed to it.
• If you do decide to dress up your pet, make sure the costume fits properly and does not restrict their breathing or vision.
• Keep your pet in a separate room during trick-or-treat hours. Not only will this keep them safely in the house, but will also help reduce your pet's stress as plenty of strangers will be coming to the door.
• Keep outdoor cats inside for a few days before and after Halloween to keep them safe from pranksters.
If you pet does become lost tonight, the Humane Society recommends you immediately call the HSSA Lost and Found Department at 327-6088, ext. 111, and the Pima Animal Care Center at 743-7550.
Also, be sure to visit each shelter every day to look for your pet in person.
1 hour ago