Posted: Sep 28, 2013 12:07 PM by Scott Oathout
Updated: Sep 28, 2013 12:17 PM
TUCSON- Three people are displaced after a house fire Saturday morning.
Tucson Fire Captain Chris Jurvig says a resident in the 1100 block of East Kentucky Street called 9-1-1 just after 9 a.m., after finding the back of his house engulfed in flames.
The first arriving units entered the house, but encountered high heat and heavy smoke.
Another crew cut a hole in the roof of the house to allow the heat and smoke to escape.
A search of the house found nobody else inside, but two dogs were in an enclosed yard behind the house. Jurvig says the dogs were near the hottest part of the fire.
Firefighters kept a hose line between the dogs and the fire, while cooling off the dogs and moving them away from the house. The dogs were unharmed during the fire.
It took firefighters 17 minutes to bring the fire under control.
Jurvig says the residence is a total loss, with damage estimates at $60,000.
The cause of the fire was an unspecified malfunction in the water heater.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More