Posted: Jun 29, 2012 4:57 PM
TUCSON - Improperly stored flammable liquids apparently caused a house fire on Tucson's east side this afternoon - firefighters brought the blaze under control before the home was a complete loss.
According to a news release from Tucson Fire, a resident was in the laundry room of her home in the 1000 block of W. Alameda when she heard a loud "woosh" sound. She turned around to see fire covered the floor near the gas-fed water heater. She evacuated and called 911.
Fire crews arrived and encountered heavy smoke and fire in the structure. The electrical line was damaged by the fire, causing it to drop down, creating a barrier for firefighters, the TFD news release states. Crews worked to keep the fire from spreading into the attic space while arrangements were made to shut off gas and electricity.
Twenty-two firefighters had the blaze under control within eleven minutes. Residents will be displaced for an extended period of time, but declined Red Cross assistance. There were no injuries to residents of firefighters.
The estimated damage to the home is $70,000.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More