Posted: Nov 15, 2012 3:57 PM by Ian Cross
Updated: Nov 15, 2012 3:58 PM
TUCSON - It's been confirmed by officials that at least two high school students have overdosed on the synthetic drug "Spice."
It happened in the Sunnyside School District - officials confirm two Sunnyside High School students told paramedics they'd taken "Spice," which is marketed as a safe, legal alternative to marijuana.
We're told the students may have gone to the school nurse's office with symptoms, then paramedics were called. Authorities say symptoms of a "Spice" overdose include rapid heart rate, vomiting, agitation, confusion and hallucinations.
We understand that one Desert View High School student may have also overdosed on Spice, but school officials say it didn't happen on school grounds.
Most of the students we talked to at Sunnyside High School were unaware of the incident, but they did voice their opinions on drug use.
Taking a drug like "Spice" is "just plain stupidity" said Sunnyside High School student Llunas Gonzalez. "I don't know why people do that stuff - why don't you enjoy life? Just doing so much bad things to yourself and your body, I don't understand why people do that ."
Stay tuned to News 4 Tucson this evening for a full report from Lupita Murillo.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More