Nov 13, 2013 1:33 AM by Sean Mooney
TUCSON - Now that yet another Sunnyside School District budget override has failed, the district's governing board is faced with making more than $5 million in cuts.
On Tuesday the Sunnyside School Board presented its recommendations at its weekly board meeting.
The board recommends the following:
• Close and redesign two schools. Los Ranchitos Elementary would be redesigned as a Parent Engagement Center ($750,000). Chaparral Middle School would be redesigned as a new K-8 fine Arts School ($1,000,000)
• Cut 22 employees from Central District Maintenance Services ($919,000)
• Reduce ESI and Work Retiree Employees programs by 50%, trimming 100 employees ($222,746)
• Release 20 librarian employees ($562,285)
• Make cuts to physical education and music programs ($585,000)
• Reduction in Administration and Coordinators ($500,000)
But at Tuesday's board meeting those that attended vented their frustration over the failure of yet another budget override by repeatedly laying blame on the governing board and calling for them to resign.
Sunnyside School Board President, Louie Gonzalez, was a frequent target and says attacking board members is not going to solve the district's budget problems, "It's a sad day for Sunnyside that people took adult politics Into the arena and used children as pawns and now children are paying the price."