Posted: Nov 15, 2012 6:31 PM
Updated: Nov 15, 2012 6:31 PM
TUCSON - Two Sunnyside High School students were hospitalized Thursday after overdosing on a synthetic drug.
School officials said they are investigating and have contacted Tucson Police.
Paramedics arrived at the high school just before 2:00 p.m. They said they responded to an overdose call.
News 4 learned two students went to the nurse's office. It was there that 911 was called.
Spice is marketed as synthetic marijuana that is a safe alternative. However, side effects of an overdose include rapid heart rate, vomiting, agitation, confusion, and hallucinations.
One student can't believe what his fellow classmates did.
"Just plain stupidity," Llunas Gonzalez said. "I don't know why people do that stuff."
One teacher, who wished to remain anonymous, told News 4 they were made aware of the synthetic drug at a staff meeting and to be on the lookout.
Students said they will be on the lookout as well.
"I just think its retarded to do that," said Sunnyside student Melyssa Miranda. "They have a future ahead of them."
Others expressed how they feel about drugs on campus.
"It's irresponsible," Marie Rodriguez said. "Especially if they OD on school grounds."
It was reported another student may have also over dosed. Sunnyside officials said that incident did not happen on school grounds.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More