Posted: Jul 19, 2012 4:18 PM
Updated: Jul 19, 2012 5:24 PM
TUCSON - Today on "Smart Choices" on News 4 Tucson at 4 p.m., nutrition and food coach Hana Feeney stopped by with the best cereal options for your kids, and yourself!
Below you can find information from her discussion with News 4 Tucson's Allison Alexander:
Back to school is just around the corner, and one of the most common questions I hear from parents and anyone interested in eating right is: "Which breakfast cereal is good for me?"
Here are my criteria for a healthy cereal and some of my favorite options.
• Unprocessed, whole foods
• Short ingredient list, fewer than 10 ingredients
• No added sugar, or very little (glucose, and others ending in -ose, agave nectar, sugar, juice concentrate, honey, brown rice syrup and other syrups ) or sugar alcohols (maltitol, sorbitol and others ending in -ol)
• No food dye
• No caramel coloring
What do you do when you just love sugary cereal?
• Sweeten your lower sugar cereal with fruit and add crunch and flavor with nuts and seeds. Make a breakfast bar so that your family can build their own cereal bowl. Use any variety of nuts, seeds, fruits, milks or yogurt that you like.
• Do a "Fruit-Yogurt-Cereal Flip"! Put plain fruit in the bottom of the bowl, top with yogurt and then cereal. Eating your cereal this way makes a cereal like granola, which is higher in sugar, from encroaching too far onto your "discretionary calories".
• Count your cereal as your dessert. If you eat sugary cereal, consider that dessert for the day-and then eat it that way! Have a small bowl of cereal as dessert following a well-balanced meal that contains fruits, vegetables, fiber, protein and healthy fat. Sugary cereal simply can't be the meal.
Check out www.NourishingResults.com for my top picks!
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More