May 21, 2014 6:30 PM by Jennifer English
My friend Farmer Lee Jones grows some of the most beautiful vegetables in the world for the nation's most discerning chefs and customers.
He says when asparagus is in season, we should eat it "for breakfast, lunch and dinner." When you go to the grocery store we see asparagus year round. However the stalks in the stores at the moment are the true seasonal ones. I have many recipes for them here are two favorites.
· 1 bunch asparagus
· 1 handful toasted, crushed hazelnuts
· 1 tablespoon chopped mint
· 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
· 2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
· 1 teaspoon honey
· 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
· parmesan or pecorino shavings
1. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus lengthwise to create strips. Toss with the hazelnuts and mint.
2. Wisk together lemon juice, vinegar, honey, and olive oil. Pour over asparagus and mix with salt and pepper to taste. Shave parmegiano or pecorino on top.
8 hours ago