Local

Jun 16, 2013 11:25 AM by Scott Oathout

Rough start to Father's Day for local family

TUCSON- A family of six escaped injury during an early morning mobile home fire on the northwest side.

Northwest Fire Capt. Adam Goldberg says firefighters were called to the 900 block of West Limberlost Drive around 4 a.m. Sunday for a mobile home fire.

Crews found the home filled with smoke, but the father, 26, mother, 36, and all four children ages 13, 10, 2 and 1, were all out of the house safely.

Goldberg says two teenage girls sleeping in the front room awoke to the smoke and were able to get everyone else out of the house. There were no working smoke detectors in the house.

"I am thankful that they were all able to get out alive," Battalion Chief Scott Draper said. "Especially in the middle of the night with no smoke detectors and on Father's Day as well."

One occupant was evaluated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation.

According to Goldberg the fire started when the girls left a curling iron on a couch and it started smoldering.

Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control within eight minutes after arrival.

Goldberg says the home suffered moderate fire damage but heavy smoke damage throughout. Damage is estimated at $5,000.

The Red Cross and Northwest Fire District's Community Assistance Program is helping the family with clothing.

The family of six will stay with relatives in Tucson.

»Comments

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4