Jun 10, 2013 10:23 AM by Ryan Haarer

Review your homeowner's policy before Monsoon hits

TUCSON - Monsoon is fast approaching and that means serious damage from flying debris and severe flooding. There is no predicting what Mother Nature will do, the question is, are you prepared for the aftermath?

"Unfortunately, sometimes people procrastinate when it comes to this kind of stuff. And it's not really known until the disaster happens that you realize that's when I need my insurance," said State Farm agent Kurt Larsen.

Basic homeowner's policies cover damage done by storms, lightning, freezing pipes, fire and even theft.

"Your homeowner's policy in general does not cover floods. You have to have a separate flood insurance policy. Those are managed by FEMA but brokered by companies like State Farm," said Larsen.

FEMA estimates that just a single inch of flooding in a 1,000 square foot home can rack up over 10,000 dollars in damages. So should you tack on the flood insurance?

"It also depends on the area you live in as to whether you even require flood insurance. If you live at the top of Mount Lemmon you potentially don't need flood insurance. However if you are in a flood plain zone then what we do is a flood plain determination," said Larsen.

Kurt recommends meeting with your insurance agent before monsoon starts. To review your policy and deductibles so you know exactly what's protected.


Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4