Jul 26, 2013 1:20 PM by Faye DeHoff
TUCSON - A quick response by Rural/Metro Firefighters saves a home in the Catalina Foothills area this morning.
Firefighters responded to the home in the 7100 block of north Finger Rock Place. While en route, first-arriving engine crews reported smoke and flames visible from blocks away. On arrival firefighters found a fire on the upstairs patio, where investigators have determined the cause to be an unattended built-in barbeque grill. The heat melted the shut off valve and fire from the pressurized gas lines created direct flame impingement on the home.
Although challenged by desert terrain surrounding the yard, crews took quick action to keep the fire from spreading throughout the 4000 square foot residence. With noted smoke and water damage, incident commanders immediately moved to protecting the contents of the home, limiting the loss for the owners. No injuries occurred to either the resident or firefighters while containing this fire. No damage estimates are available.
Leaving cooking appliances of any type unattended may cause this similar emergency at any home, especially barbeque grills. Make sure the grill is clean of excess grease prior to use, move the unit away from the home if possible, including overhanging patios. Ensure the valves are in proper working order and hoses do not have cracks or damage that would leak. When the use of the grill is complete, make sure it is cool before storing or covering.
5 hours ago