Aug 23, 2013 11:46 AM by ASSOCIATED PRESS
JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Wash. (AP) - An Army prosecutor says Staff Sgt. Robert Bales' own "stomach-churning" words prove he knew what he was doing when he massacred 16Afghan villagers during pre-dawn raids last year.
Jurors are considering whether the 40-year-old soldier's life sentence should include the possibility of parole.
Lt. Col. Jay Morse delivered the government's closing argument Friday, noting that after the attacks Bales told another soldier he thought he killed 20 people.
Morse displayed photos of a young girl who was executed as she screamed and cried, as well as surveillance video of Bales returning to the base with "the methodical, confident gait of a man who's accomplished his mission."
Morse said Bales should be sentenced to life without parole.