Posted: May 27, 2012 2:48 PM
PHOENIX (AP) - Several children and a swimming coach who were exposed to a non-life-threatening plume caused by a mixture of chemicals for swimming pools were taken to a hospital after inhaling the fumes.
The Arizona Republic reports that an employee at a location of the Hubbard Family Swim School accidentally mixed the substances Saturday.
The plume was caused by a mixture of muriatic acid and chlorine.
Authorities treated eight people for exposure and sent five people to the hospital as a precautionary measure.
The school was temporarily evacuated and Phoenix fire officials ventilated the building.
Bob Hubbard, owner of the school, says the school plans to review its maintenance procedures with the fire department to ensure safe practices.
He added that the substances are stored separately in the building.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More