Nov 6, 2011 9:37 PM
• With his 99-yard overtime punt return TD against the Rams, Patrick Peterson became the first player in NFL history with three punt return TDs in his first eight career games. He became the fourth player to three in the first eight games of any season joining Rich Upchurch (4, 1976), LeRoy Irvin (3, 1981) and Reggie Bush (3, 2008).
• It was just the second game-winning punt return in overtime in NFL history. The only other player to return a punt for a TD in OT was Kansas City's Tamarick Vanover, who returned a punt 86 yards for a TD vs. San Diego on 10/9/95.
• It also tied for the longest overtime play in NFL history, matching the 99-yard pass from Philadelphia's Ron Jaworski to Mike Quick, 11/10/85 vs. Atlanta.
• It is the second-longest punt return in NFL history, trailing only the L.A. Rams Robert Bailey's 103-yard TD return vs. New Orleans on 10/23/94.
NFL Record-Longest Punt Returns
Yds Player Team Opponent
103t Robert Bailey LA Rams vs. New Orleans, 10/23/94
99t Patrick Peterson Arizona vs. St. Louis, 11/6/11
98t Terance Mathis NY Jets vs. Dallas, 11/4/90
Dennis Morgan Dallas vs. St. Louis, 10/13/74
Charlie West Minnesota vs. Washington, 11/3/68
Gil LeFebvre Cincinnati vs. Brooklyn, 12/3/33
• Peterson became the first player in franchise history to return three punts for TDs in a single season. Combined with his 82-yard punt return for a TD last week in Baltimore, Peterson also became the first player in franchise history to return a punt for a TD in back-to-back games.
• Peterson became the eighth NFL player since 1970 to have consecutive games with a punt return touchdown and the first since Dallas' Patrick Crayton did it in 2009.
• Peterson became just the 13th player in NFL history to return at least three punts for TDs in a single season. Devin Hester, who has accomplished the feat three times, last did so in 2010. Peterson joins Hester (3, 2006) and Jack Christiansen (4, 1951) as the only rookies in NFL history with at least three punt returns for TDs in a single season.
NFL Record-Punt Return TDs In a Single Season
TDs Player, Team, Year
4 Devin Hester, Chicago, 2007
Rick Upchurch, Denver, 1976
Jack Christiansen, Detroit, 1951+
3 Patrick Peterson, Arizona, 2011+
Devin Hester, Chicago, 2010
Johnnie Lee Higgins, Oakland, 2008
Reggie Bush, New Orleans, 2008
Adam Jones, Tennessee, 2006
Devin Hester, Chicago, 2006+
Eric Metcalf, San Diego, 1997
Darrien Gordon, Denver, 1997
Desmond Howard, Green Bay, 1996
LeRoy Irvin, Los Angeles, 1981
Billy (White Shoes) Johnson, Houston, 1975
Emlen Tunnell, NY Giants, 1951
• After just eight career games, Peterson's three punt return TDs tie the franchise career mark. He now joins Ollie Matson and Vai Sikahema as the only players in franchise history with three punt return TDs.
Franchise Career Leaders-Punt Return TDs
TDs Player, Years
3 Patrick Peterson, 2011
Ollie Matson, 1954, 55 (2)
Vai Sikahema, 1986 (2), 87
2 Phil Sarboe, 1935
Jerry Davis, 1948
Charley Trippi, 1948
John "Red" Cochran, 1949
Billy Stacy, 1959
Bobby Joe Conrad,1959, 61
Johnny Roland, 1966, 70