Oct 11, 2013 5:17 PM by Patricia Sauceda
Chef Rani Olson from Food for Ascension Cafe stopped by to show us how to make Pecan-Cacao-Chiltepin Popsicle.
Here is the recipe.
The Pecan-Cacao-Chiltepin Popsicle
• 2 cups raw pecans, soaked in water for 2-8 hours
• 4 cups water
• 8 chiltepin peppers, loosely crushed with the back of a spoon
• 1/2 cup sage simple syrup* (white, brown, coconut, etc)
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
• 1/4 - 1/2 cup cacao nibs, or chocolate shavings of choice
Drain and rinse soaked pecans.
Blend pecans and water in high speed blender for 1 minute.
Pour pecan mixture over crushed chiltepins and stir. Let sit for 15 minutes (the longer they sit, the spicier the popsicles).
Mix sage simple syrup, honey, salt, and lemon juice until even consistency.
Pour pecan chiltepin mixture through a nut-milk-bag and squeeze until solids are removed from milk. If you do not have a nut-milk-bag, you can use a fine mesh sieve. Make sure no flecks of chiltepin remain in the strained liquid.
Combine pecan milk with simple syrup mixture.
Sprinkle half of the cacao nibs (or chocolate shavings) in the bottom of the popsicle molds.
Pour liquid mixture in popsicle molds, leaving roughly 1/2 to 1/4 inch space at top (popsicles expand as they freeze and this will prevent over-flow).
Sprinkle remaining cacao nibs on top of the popsicles.
Place popsicle sticks in popsicles and freeze until solid, 4-8 hours.
Make sage simple syrup:
• over low heat on the stove, warm 1/3c sugar + 1/3 cup water + 1-2 Tablespoons dry sage, stir until dissolved and warm to the touch.
• let sit for 15 minutes - 1 hour.