Posted: Aug 31, 2012 1:17 PM by Ian Cross
Updated: Aug 31, 2012 1:52 PM
TUCSON - Casas Adobes Pet Clinic was evacuated and Northwest Fire District crews responded after an employee reported a possible gas leak this morning.
At about 6:30 a.m. Friday morning, Northwest Fire crews responded to the clinic for a possible Isoflourane gas leak, Captain Adam Goldberg stated in a news release. Isoflourane is an anesthetic used during pet surgeries, and was thought to be leaking by an employee who heard a hissing sound, experienced burning to her eyes, and noted slight dizziness. She evacuated the clinic immediately and called 911.
NWFD's Hazardous Materials team responded and, using air monitoring equipment, found the Isoflourane tank intact, but found a large oxygen cylinder that was left open and empty. The team determined oxygen levels in the area were high, and they ventilated the clinic to bring the environment to safe levels, the release stated.
"The employee did exactly the right thing by realizing the potential hazard, evacuating the area immediately and calling 9-1-1," said Steve Noble with the Hazardous Materials Response Team.
The clinic was expected to open on time with no interruptions to service.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More