Posted: Nov 4, 2012 5:00 PM by Erika Flores
Updated: Nov 4, 2012 9:55 PM
TUCSON-We know what started the fire inside an equipment room at McKale Center.
Firefighters responded to the campus Saturday night after smoke alarms went off.
Crews saw smoke coming from the roof of McKale.
They entered the building and found heavy smoke and water pouring in the equipment room.
As U of A worked to fix the aftermath of the fire in the equipment room, on court, it was business as usual.
Fans were eager to take their seat as the Wildcats took on the USC Trojans.
Lily Morales is part of a volleyball team in Bisbee.
"Our season just ended, so this is kind of a treat for us," she said.
Morales said she's glad the fire didn't affect the game.
"We've been planning this for a while now, so we'd be pretty bummed if we didn't get to go," said Morales.
U of A's Associate Director of Athletic Event Operations told us the university is still working to assess the damage.
Equipment has been removed from the room and the smoke is being fanned out.
Tucson fire told us a bundle of rags was found inside the equipment room with chemicals believed to be cleaning solvents that caused a chemical reaction and spontaneous combustion.
The fire was contained to the equipment room, so games on the court went as planned.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More