Posted: Aug 16, 2012 4:22 PM by Ian Cross
Updated: Aug 16, 2012 4:23 PM
TUCSON - One man was injured and his two cats are in serious condition from chlorine gas exposure after he mixed hazardous pool chemicals inside his home.
Northwest Fire's hazardous materials unit responded to a home on the northwest side after the homeowner reported that he had mixed two packages of "pool shock" chemicals into water inside his home, and it began to give off gas, according to a news release from NWFD.
The man suffered inhalation injuries from the fumes, and was treated at the scene by NWFD paramedics. Firefighters donned air packs and rescued two cats from inside the home, who were taken to a vet for emergency treatment, the release states. Both were listed in serious condition.
The Hazmat team found high levels of chlorine gas inside the home when they took air samples; ventilation fans were set up to clear the home of gas. The neighborhood was also monitored, but no chlorine gas was detected outside the home, the release states.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More