Jul 12, 2012 8:15 PM
TUCSON - Today on Make Me Over, Dr. Gwen Maxwell stopped by to discuss two alternatives to the traditional facelift: Direct Excision and the Z-Plasty.
Dr. Maxwell has provided information from her discussion with Allison below:
Patients older than seventy years present a unique challenge for plastic surgeons. They have significant aging of the face and neck but may not be suitable candidates for a long surgery due to medical conditions. There are options for these patients that will give them a more youthful jaw line without all of the risks. These options are the Z-Plasty of the neck and the Direct Excision of the Nasolabial Folds. Dr. Gwen Maxwell will discuss:
• Improves the appearance of the neck by removing excess neck skin
• Lose neck skin is excised directly using a zigzag incision
• The zigzag pattern allows the scar tissue to be dispersed evenly without contracting toward the chin allowing the scar to blend nicely into the folds of the neck
• Muscles are not tightened as part of the procedure
• The procedure takes 1 to 2 hours whereas a traditional facelift takes approximately 6 hours
• Can be done under local or general anesthesia
• Recovery and healing time is much quicker
• There is a zigzag scar that may be noticeable under the chin
• Is a good alternative for patients who are not candidates for traditional facelift or neck lift surgery or those that want a lesser amount of down-time
Direct Excision of Nasolabial Folds:
• Treats the deep nasolabial folds that occur in the midface as a result of aging.
• The skin is directly excised (removed).
• A thin scar is left in the natural nasolabial groove. The scars are very faint after six months
• The results are dramatic and long term.
• The procedure takes about an hour whereas a traditional facelift takes approximately 6 hours.
• The recovery and healing is much quicker than a traditional facelift however patients must be willing to accept the thin scar that remains.
• This procedure is a great alternative for those who are not candidates for a traditional facelift due to age or medical condition.
Price Range: The range is $2000 - $6000 but can vary greatly depending on the type of anesthesia or sedation that is used and whether both procedures are performed together or alone.