Posted: Jul 12, 2012 5:15 PM
TUCSON - Today on Make Me Over, Dr. Gwen Maxwell stopped by to discuss two alternatives to the traditional facelift: Direct Excision and the Z-Plasty.
Dr. Maxwell has provided information from her discussion with Allison below:
Patients older than seventy years present a unique challenge for plastic surgeons. They have significant aging of the face and neck but may not be suitable candidates for a long surgery due to medical conditions. There are options for these patients that will give them a more youthful jaw line without all of the risks. These options are the Z-Plasty of the neck and the Direct Excision of the Nasolabial Folds. Dr. Gwen Maxwell will discuss:
• Improves the appearance of the neck by removing excess neck skin
• Lose neck skin is excised directly using a zigzag incision
• The zigzag pattern allows the scar tissue to be dispersed evenly without contracting toward the chin allowing the scar to blend nicely into the folds of the neck
• Muscles are not tightened as part of the procedure
• The procedure takes 1 to 2 hours whereas a traditional facelift takes approximately 6 hours
• Can be done under local or general anesthesia
• Recovery and healing time is much quicker
• There is a zigzag scar that may be noticeable under the chin
• Is a good alternative for patients who are not candidates for traditional facelift or neck lift surgery or those that want a lesser amount of down-time
Direct Excision of Nasolabial Folds:
• Treats the deep nasolabial folds that occur in the midface as a result of aging.
• The skin is directly excised (removed).
• A thin scar is left in the natural nasolabial groove. The scars are very faint after six months
• The results are dramatic and long term.
• The procedure takes about an hour whereas a traditional facelift takes approximately 6 hours.
• The recovery and healing is much quicker than a traditional facelift however patients must be willing to accept the thin scar that remains.
• This procedure is a great alternative for those who are not candidates for a traditional facelift due to age or medical condition.
Price Range: The range is $2000 - $6000 but can vary greatly depending on the type of anesthesia or sedation that is used and whether both procedures are performed together or alone.
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Help those in need this holiday season
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
Win! Win! Win!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Let us help grow your business
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories