Jul 23, 2012 7:47 PM
TUCSON - Today on "Let's Make a Meal," Chef Albert Hall form Acacia stopped by to make a Cool Summer Gazpacho. Here's the recipe:
Cool Summer Gazpacho
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
• 8 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or 2 cans diced)
• 2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
• 2 teaspoons sea salt
• 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Agave nectar
• pinch of ground cayenne pepper
• pinch each of basil and oregano
• 1 slice of bread
• 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
• This dish is best prepared using red vine ripened tomatoes. If all that is available are the unripe supermarket variety, then canned diced tomatoes are preferred. Use fresh herbs when available. A few drops of lemon juice can be added to brighten the flavor, if desired.
• Chop the onion, green pepper, tomatoes and garlic.
• Combine in a non-metallic bowl of a blender, ground cayenne, basil, oregano and the onion, green pepper, tomatoes and garlic.
• Add the bread, olive oil, vinegar, Hungarian paprika, Agave nectar, tomato paste, sea salt and 2 cups cold water.
• Pour the mixture through a coarse strainer. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
• Serve cold garnished with chopped tomatoes, chopped green peppers, and cubed cucumbers.