May 8, 2013 7:59 PM
Editor's note: The following is an update from the USDA Forest Service:
May 8, 2013, 4:00 p.m.
• Safford Ranger District of the Coronado National Forest
• Rincon Canyon, near Rincon Spring
• Nearest Town is Safford, AZ
Start Date: May 8, 2013, reported at 9:40 a.m.
Size: approximately 20 acres
Cause: human caused, under investigation
• Provide for public and firefighter safety
• Fire suppression
• Firefighters: 3 full crews, 1 short crew
• Engines: 4
• Air Tankers: 2 single engine air tankers and one large air tanker made drops on the fire, and are not currently active
• Helicopters: 1 helicopter is making bucket drops, 1 helitanker made water drops on the fire and is not currently active
• Miscellaneous Overhead
Summary: The fire is burning in grass and oak at an elevation near 5,000 feet. No structures are threatened. Reservoir is approximately three miles from fire, allowing short turn-around time for helicopters travelling to and from the fire making water drops.