Posted: Jul 4, 2013 12:58 PM by Nikai Salcido
Updated: Jul 4, 2013 5:12 PM
TUCSON - Independence day celebrations aren't as exciting for most animals, but there are some measures you can take to keep your pet happy.
Some dogs and cats become so fearful and anxious over fireworks that they can cause harm to themselves.Each year the day after the Fourth of July, the Humane Society of Southern Arizona receives an increase of lost dogs and cats after escaping home out of fear.
HSSA gives a few tips that all pet owners should follow this time of year:
- Keep your pet indoors and, for pets with extreme sensitivity, create a den-like environment if possible, such as a crate, room or walk-in closet free of windows.
- If at all possible, remain home with your pet to provide comfort and security.
- Turn on a TV or radio to provide soothing sounds that will distract your pet from outside noises
- Spray some pet-friendly aromatherapy to calm your pet's nerves
- Animals that are extremely sensitive to noise may benefit from the use of veterinarian-prescribed sedatives
- Be sure to keep a well-fitted collar and identification on your pet
- Have your pet microchipped
HSSA recommends micropchipping because it helps immediately identify a lost pet and locate its owners.
If your pet escapes, immediately call HSSA's Lost and Found Department at 327-6088, and Pima Animal Care Center, at 793-5900 to file a lost report.
Visit found-pets.org and be sure to visit each shelter at least every other day to look for your pet in person.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More