Posted: Jul 16, 2013 1:14 PM by Associated Press
JACKSONVILLE, FL - The Pentagon chief says his staff and that of his top brass will be trimmed by 20 percent in coming years.
The comments Tuesday by Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel came on the second day of a tour of four military bases to talk about budget cuts that have forced furloughs of Defense Department civilian employees and a shortage in services for troops.
Hagel said personnel in his office, the Joint Chiefs chairman's and the headquarters of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines would be cut starting in 2015 and continue through 2019. He wouldn't discuss the estimated savings and didn't give details.
Military spending was slashed by $37 billion this year, forcing job furloughs that began last week for an estimated 650,000 Defense department civilian employees.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More