Posted: May 16, 2013 9:35 AM by Faye DeHoff
TUCSON - A grease fire at a McDonald's inside a Walmart store caused the temporary evacuation of 200 people early this morning.
McDonald's employees were in the kitchen at the restaurant inside the Walmart in the 1600 block of West Valencia Road around 5:30 a.m. when they noticed smoke and fire coming from the back of a deep fryer. After trying to put the fire out with an extinguisher, an employee called 911.
Tucson Fire Department crews arrived four minutes later and were able to confine the fire to the fryer by using three portable CO2 extinguishers. Other units on scene checked the area around the fire to make sure there was no spread into hidden spaces. The ladder crew controlled utilities and went to the roof to make sure there was no additional fire spread. Twenty-three firefighters from nine units responded to the scene.
There were no injuries to firefighters or civilians. Walmart was able to reopen to customers in under an hour. Pima County Health Department was responding to assess the McDonalds before reopening.
The cause was accidental and the damages are yet to be determined.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More