Arizona

Feb 10, 2014 10:48 AM by Associated Press

Gas leak suspect in Gilbert garage explosion

GILBERT, Ariz. (AP) - Authorities are investigating whether a possible leak in a natural gas pipe in a Gilbert neighborhood over the weekend caused an explosion that burned a man in his garage over the weekend.

Fire Department spokesman Brian Ruffentine says the blast occurred when the man lit a cigarette. He's hospitalized with serious burns on his chest, legs, arms, hands and face.

The explosion caused little structural damage to the home but blew out the garage door.

According to Ruffentine, the home where the explosion doesn't have natural gas service but there's a pipe along the street.

Southwest Gas spokeswoman Amy Washburn says a crew is the location to find a possible leak.

»Comments

More News

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4