Posted: Jul 6, 2012 3:24 PM
Updated: Jul 6, 2012 3:51 PM
TUCSON - With several swift water rescues required during Wednesday's monsoon storms, the Pima County Sheriff's Department has some tips and precautions for the next major storm.
The pictures above are of one of these rescues, performed by PCSD with the help of Drexel Heights Fire Department at Mardick Avenue and Valencia Road.
Don't let this happen to you! Follow these tips, provided by PCSD:
- Driving around barricades is illegal and dangerous.
- Do not let children play near storm drains or washes after a heavy rain.
- Avoid low-water crossings.
- Avoid camping in a wash or in the bottom of a canyon with steep side slopes.
- Be especially cautious at night. Flood dangers are much more difficult to see in the dark.
- Even a less serious urban flood can be dangerous. Driving too fast through standing water can cause a car to hydroplane. The best defense is to slow down or pull well off the road (with the lights off) for a few minutes to wait out heavy rains.
- Avoid areas already flooded, especially if the water is flowing fast.
- Do not attempt to cross flowing streams.
- Do not camp or park a vehicle along streams and washes, particularly during threatening conditions.
- If flooding occurs, get to higher ground. Get out of areas subject to flooding. This includes dips, low spots, canyons, washes, etc.
- Roadbeds may be washed out under floodwaters. Never drive through flooded roadways.
- If your vehicle is suddenly caught in rising water, leave it immediately and seek higher ground.
- If a traffic signal is out, treat the intersection as a 4-way stop.
- As little as ten inches of water can float average-sized cars, mini-vans, SUVs and trucks. Strength of the flow is the critical force.
- When in doubt, wait it out, or find a safer route.
Pictured: Swift water rescue by Pima County Sheriff's Department and Drexel Heights Fire Department. - at Mardick Avenue & Valencia Road, Tucson, AZ, courtesy Pima County Sheriff's Department Facebook
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
Win! Win! Win!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Let us help grow your business
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories