Posted: Oct 13, 2012 10:08 AM by Associated Press
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Federal officials have approved a joint plan from BP and Transocean to identify the source of a sheen in the Gulf Of Mexico associated with the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
Officials said in a news release late Friday that the federal on-site coordinator approved the joint plan on Thursday. Coast Guard Capt. Duke Walker had required the plan, and federal officials had informed BP and Transocean they might be held responsible for the costs of identifying the source and the cleanup.
The news release says the plan calls for "satellite observations and mobilizing remotely operated vehicles to examine the original Macondo well area including the wreckage, debris and the riser on the sea floor."
The Coast Guard will oversee the remote vehicle mobilization Sunday, with operations taking place early next week, logistics and weather permitting.
Federal scientists and BP say oil appears to have leaked last month from the drilling wreckage lying at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico near where a BP well blew out in 2010, causing the nation's worst offshore spill.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More