Jan 16, 2013 12:43 AM
Tucson- With the extreme temperatures has experienced this week, the top priority for people is staying warm. With that comes a heightened risk for heating related tragedies.
According Tucson Fire Public Information Officer, Barrett Baker, carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the most dangerous, "It's silent, it's deadly,its tasteless, its odorless, you don't know its there, but it is having major impacts on your body."
Carbon monoxide or CO, is a by-product of items that generate heat, such as grills, stoves and all types of heaters. without an alarm it very difficult to detect. Symptoms are described as flu-like and include nauseousness, dizziness and vomiting. If multiple people in your home are experiencing the same symptoms first responders advise getting out of your home immediately and calling 911.
One good way to protect your family is to install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home, near bedrooms and in the kitchen.
Tucson Firefighter, Mike Sierra says that while being poisoned is remote it pays to be safe, "A vast majority of these calls are false alarms but we go and check everyone out, said Sierra, "we want to make sure that people know that if they do have a problem from an alarm going off that they should call 911 and get us responding right away."
5 hours ago