Sep 19, 2012 11:13 PM by Robby Messer
TUCSON - Five suspects are in custody after Tucson Police says they attacked four people outside a local business early Wednesday morning.
Police say the attack started when a male victim was trying to unlock his bicycle from a bike rack located near the front of the Buffet Bar at 538 East 9th Street about 2 a.m. Five suspects exited the bar and one of them punched the victim in the back of the head for no reason.
The victim did not retaliate and went back inside the bar to ask a second male for his assistance in retrieving his bicycle in order to avoid further attack.
As the victim and the second male exited the bar, police say the five suspects began to assault both males by punching and kicking them. The beating continued even after both victims fell to the ground.
Employees exited the bar, tried to stop the attack and the suspects ran off.
Officers say a few returned and resumed kicking one of the victims who was unconscious on the ground.
A nearby resident along with his 17-year old son came out of a nearby home and tried to stop the violence, but the suspects then turned their aggression toward them before they all ran off.
A thorough investigation identified the five suspects and revealed all of them are currently employed by the Pima County Sheriff's Department as Corrections Officers, but have been placed on paid leave pending the investigation.
All were arrested.
- 30-year old John Hyatt has been charged with 4 counts of Aggravated Assault.
- 24-year old Matthew Garcia has been charged with 4 counts of Aggravated Assault.
- 25-year old Anthony Bonfiglio has been charged with 6 counts of Aggravated Assault.
- 23-year old Angel Castaneda has been charged with 4 counts of Aggravated Assault.
- 26-year old Steven Haglund has been charged with 4 counts of Aggravated Assault.