Posted: Feb 21, 2013 12:03 PM by Brian White
TUCSON - An unattended kitchen caused a southside house fire Thursday morning.
A woman was heating oil -- at her home in the 1000 block of East 41st Street-- to cook french fries and stepped away. The woman's daughters smelled something burning. They then realized the house was burning and got out of the house.
The woman's husband came home and used an outside hose in an attempt to put out the fire, Tucson Fire Department spokesman Barrett Baker said.
Crews responded and were able to extinguish the blaze in about 7 minutes, Baker said. Eight units and 21 firefighters responded. No one was injured. The estimated damage to the home was $10,000.
Baker says this is the second fire this week caused by cooking oil and reminds those who are cooking to never leave the stove unattended.
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Help those in need this holiday season
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
Win! Win! Win!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Let us help grow your business
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories